The main hazards faced from eruptions of Merapi are the formation of Pyroclastic Density Currents (also called Pyroclastic Flows etc), a number of these are shown in the photos below, and lahars. Lava dome formation also occurs within the crater of Merapi and the collapse of these domes has caused the formation of Pyroclastic Density Currents frequently in the past. The most recent 2010 eruption has caused the deaths of more than 300 people. However the most devestating eruption occured in 1930 when more than 1000 people were killed by Pyroclastic Density Currents.
Global Volcanism Program
I have heard the following theories about the eyjafjallajokull
eruption and would like youre opinion on the events....
1. A meltdown of the Sun activated the volcano
2. Secret experiments with ‘seismic weapons’
3. Closing in on the end of the Mayan calendar
4. Manoeuvres at an alien landing site
5. Discreet terror attack response exercise
6. The Earth is beginning to heal itself
7. Preliminary warning of a mega poison cloud
8. Beginning of a new super eruption
9. The interior of the Earth is collapsing
10. Fulfilment of age-old Nordic legends
Dr. Ignim Brite
Which one is your favourtie? Let me know!